Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Week 6 Days 2-4, Week 7, Week 8 Days 1-2

Firstly, thank you for all the encouragement.  I am so grateful that my meager attempts to help people and the world think before they eat, and try to eat better.

I have been slacking in my posting.  For that, I apologize.  I may have some of this a little mixed up, but I am going to attempt to get it all here, anyway.

Week 6
Day 2
I gave Keith a peanut butter sandwich again.  I was running late, so rushed to make him something.  He got a peanut butter and honey (again, from my father's hives) sandwich, carrots, a piece of broccoli, and an orange.  He ate everything.

Day 3
I had gone to the grocery store the night before.  I had all sorts of delicious foods for him, but low and behold, he requested peanut butter again.  Sigh.  That boy and his love of peanut butter.  I guess it is typical, though, right?  So, I gave him a peanut butter sandwich, some edemame and raisins, grapes, a cheese stick and some broccoli and spinach.  He ate the sandwich.  And guess what, I learned that he has been eating some of the fries from school lunch.  It broke my heart a little.  I mean, he has the right to choose what he is going to eat.  But I really try hard to teach him about good foods, and I have really gone through a lot of work to get him his home lunches.  The boy has much better and natural food than what his friends are eating!  But I do understand about peer pressure, and also the allure of fatty greasy foods.  I only hope that if I continue to provide him with the good foods, that he will make the right choices.

Day 4


It seems, Keith really does want the boring lunches.  Peanut butter sandwiches.  He does want what goes with the peanut butter varied slightly, but not much.  I was tired of giving him the peanut butter.  Besides, we were out of bread.  So I grabbed a tortilla, put some cheese on it, and badda bing, badda boom, he had a quesedilla.  Sorry, no picture because it is wrapped in foil.  I sliced up an apple, gave him some grapes, carrots, green peppers and broccoli.  He ate it all.  Yay!

Week 7
Day 1

To mix it up again, I decided to completely forgo the typical sandwich and move on to cheese and crackers. I gave him some vegetable ritz crackers and a bit of a sharp cheddar cheese ball.  Some of those delicious orange tomatoes again.  I don't know why I keep trying with those.  They are incredible, and completely wasted on the boy.  At least Faye and I get to eat them when he gets home, right?  I am so glad he doesn't throw them away!  I gave him a delicious red pear, some broccoli, a carrot stick and celery stick.  Can you tell what his favorite vegetables are?  At least he eats those nearly every time.

Day 2

The night before, Jeffrey and I had a late night pizza binge.  There was lots left over since Jeffrey was really the only one hungry for the pizza.  I thought it would be a fun surprise for the boy to find a pizza in his lunch box.  I gave him an orange, carrots, celery and broccoli along with it.  And a cheese stick.  When I picked him up from school, I was surprised to find the only things he had eaten were the orange, cheese stick and broccoli.  At least he is eating the healthy things, right?  I worry that he is eating junk from school, though.  Again, all I can really do here is keep on providing him with the good wholesome things.

Day 3



Day 4


Week 8
Day 1

Monday October 1
Guess what kind of sandwich that is?  Yup.  Peanut butter and honey.  I can't get away from the peanut butter.  I think partially it is because I am so tired at the end of the day that I go to bed.  I am not planning out his lunches as I should.  I am not preparing them the night before as I should.  Because of that, the easiest thing to give him is peanut butter.  And I know he will eat it. That is a big thing, too.  But I am going to find a way to mix it up, soon.  I am determined to be more creative.  I am determined to find a compromise with the boy so he will eat his food, and he will have variety.  Though sometimes I wonder why I fight it.  If he likes it so much, why not give it to him all the time?  But if I did that, what would be the purpose of this blog?   Not only do I want to give him good foods, I want to help others.  And if you, dear Reader, or your children do not like peanut butter, what kind of help am I providing?
 At any rate, I gave him a peanut butter and honey sandwich, carrots, celery, red grapes, vegetable Ritz, and a bag of raisins, edemame and a few (very few) white chocolate chips sprinkled on top.  He ate everything but the homemade trail mix.

Day 2
Peanut butter and banana sandwich.  I do have to say, he requested a cucumber sandwich, but I don't have any on hand.  I am going to get some this week.  Hopefully he can have that cucumber sandwich by Thursday.  Along with his sandwich he had an orange, carrots, celery, broccoli, and as a little treat, I included some cider from our October Celebration, and some vegetable Ritz crackers with a bit of German frosting in the middle, making it into a weird sort of salty sweet treat.  Though I probably should have tasted it first.  The garlic in the cracker really puts off the frosting.  :)  No wonder he didn't eat that.  But he did eat everything else.

And just a little extra, here is a snack the kids and I had sometime during the summer.  Triscuts (which only have 4 or so ingredients.  Love that!), fake cheese in a can (I know, I know, but I think it was the first time in my kid's lives that they had the plastic gunk), and delicious green grapes.  Yum!


Oh, also, another note, I am extremely picky on the peanut butter we use.  Adams is the only kid I will buy or eat.  Have you seen the ingredients?  Peanuts.  That is it.  No artificial anything.  Just peanuts.  So, I suppose the peanut butter romance isn't so bad, but remember the boring bit?  And the bit about blog identity?  Why blog if all I put is "he had peanut butter again"?  So, I will keep digging for creative ideas.  I am toying with the idea of bento boxes.  I just don't have the money to put down for all the cute little extras.  It would save a monsterous amount of plastic baggies from the landfill, and I would love to be able to do that, but investing the money in something, and not really knowing where to invest it is never a fun thing.  I will toy with the idea a bit longer, I suppose.  That and save up my nickles and dimes.

No comments: