Monday, October 22, 2012

October Week 4


It is getting chilly in the mornings now.  Deliciously so.  Chilly enough that the warm security of my comforter pulled up around my neck entices me to not get out of bed.  It is enough to just lay next to Jeffrey, breathing deeply the aroma of morning and my sweetie in complete opulence.  But school doesn't wait for my morning meditation, so I have to force myself out of bed and get going, or Keith will be lacking a lunch.

It doesn't really matter, though, because my next favorite thing to do on a chilly morning is to step into a steamy shower, the warmth washing over me as I let it wake me up a little and get ready for the day.  I always shower in the dark.  I prefer it that way.  Once upon a time I worked in a doctor office and was told that showering in the dark helps to create new synapses in the brain.  I think more than showering in the dark, it is the creation of new memories, doing new things that helps create those synapses, but I have not turned on the lights when I shower since then.  It is strangely comforting.  Jeffrey thinks I am odd, but I have never told him about the synapses creation, so I guess it is warranted.

Enough about my morning oddness, though.  I just mentioned all that because I have been thinking about it and enjoying it immensely.  I think it is important to recognize the little things that make us happy.  By doing so, we will have more happiness.

Moving on to the lunch, though.

I decided to try something new today.  It was a chickpea and tomato salad.  It looked yummy enough.  I was hesitant because Keith isn't a huge fan of new things.  He has been more frequent in telling me all about the things he doesn't like, rather than what he does like.  We had a talk after school today about following my grandmother's advice; be known for your likes, not your dislikes.  We are practicing a nice way to say he doesn't like something.  Instead of saying "I don't like the plastic spoons" he can say "I really like and prefer the metal spoons."  I had a feeling I would be hearing how much he didn't like his lunch today, but decided to try it anyway.

The recipe calls for

  • 1/4 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • dash of pepper
Combine everything together and mix until everything is coated.

That was the recipe.  I followed it exactly.  Except for the feta.  I didn't have any, so I used some shredded mozzarella and cheddar.  Then I tasted it.  It was so bland!  I didn't like it at all.  I decided in the future, if I were to make this again, I would cut the oregano in half or substitute basil, rosemary, or even a mix of the three!  But not a whole teaspoon.  That was way too much.  Also, I would probably try it with the feta.  That could be the reason it didn't turn out so well.  To spruce it up a bit, I added some cauliflower and broccoli florets.    It tasted better, but wasn't brilliant by any means.  Though I found ways to make it a bit better, I most likely wont be doing this one again.

I found some Halloween cookie cutters last week at the store.  I cut a granny smith apple into thick slices, and used the cookie cutters to cut out shapes.  Next time I think I am going to use the cookie cutters to simply core the apple.  That way the middle pieces can be used better, and less will be wasted.

I found a small silver cupcake liner and put some goldfish in that.

And he got a blueberry muffin with a Frankenstein head poking out of the top.  It was just a picture on a toothpick, but it adds a bit of fun and whimsy to his lunch, which he really appreciates.

When I picked Keith up today, everything was gone, even some of the salad!  But I also found a bag of corn chips in his lunch box.  That is what the school had given the kids today.  And he of course wanted some, so they gave it to him.  I am not too upset about it, actually.  I am relieved that every day he gets good healthy food, and not processed junk.  Chips?  Really?  It was a generic version of Fritos, which I love because there are three ingredients to those, but still, with the nation so concerned about the childhood obesity rate, they should be ashamed to be putting such processed and yucky foods in the growing childrens' lunches!

I was told he ate his lunch backwards.  Muffin first, salad last.  And he was sitting by a great friend, so rather than eat, they talked.  But I am happy with the progress he made.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Update: I just asked him if he liked the salad, and he said yes.  I asked him if he would like me to make it again, and he said "Well, I like to have different things in my lunch every day."  I clarified, and he said yes, he would like it again one day.  Evidently he did like it, but was more interested in talking with his friend.  He said his favorite part was the broccoli and cauliflower.  So, it looks like I did save it after all!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

You are so cool!

I love the way you you think!

Your husband is lucky to have you in his life!

Your Keith story made me laugh today! He is trying so hard to be diplomatic!