Tuesday, October 23, 2012

October Week 4 Day 2

Once upon a time. 

A magical phrase that always excited me.  To this day, I still love fairy tales.  There is something so innocent about them.  Which is a funny way to describe them since most of Grimm's fairy tales are just that.  Grim.

I couldn't figure out what to give Keith for lunch today.  I thought a long time about it, and finally settled on giving him a Fairy Tale Lunch.

In nearly all the tales told, when someone set out on a journey, they carried with them some staples.  Good hearty bread, cheese, and some sort of protein.  Usually salted meat.  But we are vegetarian, so we just go with the protein.

I got out some bread, and Keith got excited for his lunch, though he insisted he didn't want any bread.  I gave him some cheddar cheese, almonds, carrots, broccoli, sliced peaches, and a little bit of his birthday cake.  He was so excited for it!  In place of a lunch box, I wanted to wrap it all in a napsack, but my bandanna (the only one I have) was left in the car, and it was snowing.  I didn't want to go out in the snow.  Instead, I placed it all in a brown paper bag and sent him off to school.

When I picked him up, however, he had eaten his almonds and cake.  That was all.

Very disappointing.

I believe I will try this lunch again, but I will use some good bread (a hunk of french bread perhaps?), some grapes, and whatever else is on hand.  But it will be wrapped up in a knapsack   Packaging is all part of the appeal, I am learning.

And of course, I did forget to take a picture.  One of these days it will be a habit.  One of these days.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Awwww. I'm bad. Happy Birthday to your little sweetie!

I'd eat any lunch packed with birthday cake!