Wednesday, October 17, 2012

October Week 3 All the days

I would like to call this meeting to order.

The first item on the agenda to discuss is the new post headings.  Seeing as how the committee had a hard time remembering which week it was, it was decided to just go with the month of the year and the week as that is much easier for both the author and the readers.  

The second item of business is the short week.  The third week in October this year is a three day week.  Which leaves us with a four day weekend.  Yay for playing with the children all four day weekend!

Thirdly, is the fact that the author has been ridiculously busy and has not been near a computer at all this week despite her best intentions.  So, this whole week will be lumped into one post.  The author acknowledges this is not the best way to post the weeks food experiments  but is not sure when she will be near a computer again, so knows this is the only way to get it all posted.

Thus, it is moved we continue along with the post.

All in favor say "aye"

AYE

All opposed, say "no"

* * Silence * *

Monday
I didn't have anything for Keith Monday, so I woke up early and hurried to the store.  I found all sorts of great things for him.  

Firstly, I made him an Almond Butter sandwich with honey.  I don't think I will do that again, because after I made it I learned the almond butter was sweetened.  Next time he gets fruit on the sandwich.  No honey, no jelly or jam.  With the sandwich, I found some cookie cutters and his sandwich became a pumpkin and a ghost.  He loved it.  Ate the whole thing!

I gave him a gogurt.  Not a fan of all the sugar in yogurt, but the probiotics are so very important.  Still needing to figure out a solution for that.  

A cheese stick, which is one of his very favorites.  Yay!

Multi-colored gold fish.

Baby carrots and apple slices

Keith ate the whole lunch.  I was very impressed.  Evidently sandwich shapes are a big deal for a 5 year old.  Good to know.

Tuesday
I got to go to Keith's school and volunteer the whole day.  Also, it was his birthday.  I wanted to make an amazing lunch.  Instead, I made something I love, and he didn't so much.  

Meh.

At any rate, I crushed up some garbanzo beans and added some mayo and salt.  It was like an egg salad sandwich without the egg.  Very tasty.  I sliced up some tomatoes and put that on the sandwich.  

He got another gogurt and string cheese.

He also had some baby carrots and... wait for it... strawberries!  They were delicious.  

He didn't eat much of the sandwich, ate all of the gogurt, cheese, carrots, and gold fish.  I made him eat 3 more bites before he could eat his cookie which was the treat he brought to share with the class for his birthday.  

Wednesday
Since the day before was his birthday and he didn't get to bed until very late.  And then he woke up super early, but I didn't.  And so, with me waking up late and getting the kids ready for school, I didn't have a lot of time.  I was going to take Faye to her school, and then when it was over, I was going to rush home to make it, but my mother called me, and she offered to make Keith's lunch.  She was very sweet.  I am not exactly sure what went into that lunch, but I know it was absolutely healthy, as my mother is the one who made me want to be so healthy.  Make sense?  I know there were almonds, cucumbers, and broccoli.  Not sure what else was there, but he loved the whole thing.  Yay!

And that, my friends, was Keith's lunch for this week.

I feel so empowered by being able to fight the system and give him a wonderful healthy lunch.  Love it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post! This is the kind of information that should be distributed on the online community. I would like to read more of this.

Jenny said...

I applaud your continued efforts!

Have you tried roasting the garbonzo benas? My Granddaughters LOVE those for snacks, too!

But, yeah, fritoes win every time if there's a choice.