Thursday, September 20, 2012

Week 5 Day 4

Since Keith has become so picky with his lunches, only eating a third or so, I decided I would ask him what he wanted in his lunch today.

He said a zucchini sandwich, some granola, and a juice.

Since I have never before made a zucchini sandwich and did have some strawberries going bad, I decided to experiment a little and make him a strawberry banana sandwich.  

I softened some cream cheese in the microwave and then spread it on two slices of bread.  I then sliced several strawberries and half a banana.  I put the strawberries on one slice of cream cheesed bread and some bananas on the other and then slapped them together.  The sandwich didn't hold together very well, but they are strawberries and bananas.  I figured he could just eat what fell out with his fingers.

I did cut up some zucchini for him and put it in a baggy so he could have the zucchini he wanted.  Then, because I had just made a delicious pasta salad (if I do say so myself), I added a container of that to his lunch as well.  And the boy got his juice because I couldn't find his water bottle and we needed to run out the door right then.  It was the same Capri Sun from the day before.  I also recycled the note from the day before since it had not been used.

When he got home, the drink was gone and half the sandwich was gone.

That was it.

None of the pasta, none of the zucchini, and half of the sandwich had not been touched.

Sigh.

I really need to stop being so creative with his lunches, but I just can't.  I guess I am thinking about what I would like to eat, and projecting that onto him, meanwhile forgetting that he is a little boy, and peanut butter and honey are one of the delights in his life.  He has had just that for all three meals before, and was perfectly content.  But I hate to do that to him, and really want him to have more variety.  I guess I am just going to have to find a balance.

Oh, as I was typing this, Keith came into the room and said "Mom, I ordered some stuff that you didn't give me.  Some granola of Grandma's and you didn't give me any in my lunch."  Evidently I have become a short order cook of sorts, and am failing at that job.  :)  

Next week I am hoping I can tone it down some more and find a compromise where he gets variety and eats all his food.  Or at least some of everything.  

But, I do have to say, I am very pleased with the success of this home lunch thing I am doing.  Keith seems to enjoy bringing a lunch from home, and I learned yesterday that a lot of the kids are actually jealous of him and his lunches.  Maybe more mothers will step on the band-wagon and we can start a proper school lunch boycott!  Regardless, if I get time, I am going to research bento box lunches and creative kid lunches.  I need ideas!  :)

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm not a fan of strawberries with or on anything! But I would have eaten that yummy looking bread.