Thursday, September 20, 2012

Week 5 Day 3

 Wednesday, I was so proud of the lunch I made for Keith.  I thought it was incredibly delicious.  He has a CapriSun drink.  Now, I do need to clarify, I am not a fan of CapriSun.  I think they add way too much sugar, and other yuck things to their drinks.  This one, however is 100% juice, and it is part vegetable and part fruit.  That made me happy.  I probably wont buy it again as it tastes too sweet, still and my children don't need as much sugar as it contains.

Also, I gave hims some organic fruit snacks.  Another thing I rarely buy as all the unnatural preservatives and colors make me a little squeamish.  But since this lunch was so heavy on the veggies, I thought I would indulge him a little.

Okay, on to the actual lunch now.  I gave him a whole wheat pita pocket* with olive oil mayo on the inside, spinach leaves piled in and then some cheese on top.  I cut some broccoli heads and gave him a fresh garden tomato, and cut up a fresh garden red pepper.  I saw a packet of ranch dip on the counter (belonging to my mother in law) and thought it would be a nice change for him to have something to dip his veggies in.  Also included in the lunch was a cheese stick and an English flap jack**.

I topped the whole ensemble off with a note written on his napkin.  It said "Keith makes me happy.  I love you."

When I picked him up from school, Faye always rushes his lunch box, to eat his leftovers.  I didn't let her do that yesterday as the kids had a dental visit right after school.  When we got home and I opened the lunchbox, I was dismayed.

Most of the pita pocket had been eaten.  All of the drink, cheese, and fruit snacks were gone, and one or two slices of the red pepper were gone.  Oh, and the English flap jack.  That was all.  I suppose I shouldn't be too sad about it.  I mean, he did eat enough, I suppose.  I had just wished he would eat more of the good for him foods, and not the preservative/sugar laden foods.  But that is too much to expect from a 4 year old boy.

I had a meeting last night where I sat next to one of the Mom's from Keith's preschool.  She happened to be there during the lunch period and told me something that made me laugh quite a bit.  A little back story, first, though.  Every day, Keith asks me to include a note on his napkin for him.  If I don't leave him a note, I get reprimanded by him when he gets home from school.  It is very cute.  Yesterday when he pulled out his lunch and saw the note on top, he smacked his forehead with his hand, rested it there with his elbow on the table and shook his head.  "My mom is so embarrassing!" he complained to the little girl sitting next to him.

I laughed hard when I heard that from the mom.  This morning I asked him if he wanted me to leave him a note or not, and he said "Of course, I want a note, Mom.  I like your notes."

Silly boy.


*Just a cool thing I learned with pita pockets.  If they are placed in the oven for a few minutes, they will open up with just a little encouragement, or completely on their own!  Who knew?!  I no longer have to fight to open them and end up tearing it so it no longer makes a nice pocket.  Happy discovery!

** I have a cute little book on English Tea.  In it are many recipes of foods that accompany the varying tea times.  Tuesday, Faye and I wanted to have a tea party, so I looked at the recipes and found one where I had all the ingredients, and it was simple to make.  Consequently, it was called Flapjacks.  And they are so not even close to pancakes!  If I get a chance, I will post the recipe.  They are so yummy, and like most super yummy things, are so not good for the body!  But they are very very tasty.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Baby steps, sweetie.

Baby steps.

Anonymous said...

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our whole community will be grateful to you.