Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Back To School

google image found here

Well, it has certainly been a while since I have posted here!

Enter the new school year, 2014-2015!

We asked Keith before he began school what he would like, school lunch (because his charter school actually makes the lunches from fresh ingredients in the school.  Yay!), or home lunch.  He opted for home lunch.  Which makes me happy, because that way I can ensure that my boy is getting healthy food.  What a relief!

So, Sunday night, I was getting ready to make his lunch for the first day of school the next morning, when suddenly, I realized we did not have any bread in the house.  Gasp!  I had to get creative, really fast.

Monday morning dawned, I got him dressed and off to school, lunch packed, and drove home, slightly misty eyed, as my little boy is growing up, and gosh I miss him!  When he got home from school, I asked him what his favorite part of the day was, and he said "Lunch!"  It made me so happy that I had succeeded!

For his first lunch, and due to my lack of bread, Keith got nachos.  I packed some tortilla chips, some shredded cheese with a bit of chopped green onion mixed in, some fresh baby tomatoes, a cut up apple, a carrot, and a box of raisins, along with a Super V Capri-sun.  I of course wrote a little note for him on his napkin and tucked that into his lunchbox.  Finally, I hid a rice krispy treat in the front pocket of his box as a surprise (and to ensure he wouldn't find it until he had eaten his whole lunch).

Funny thing, though, that boy of mine ate all of the veggies and fruits, leaving the nachos. What?  What kind of kid would rather eat the healthy foods over the junky food?  My health conscious son, that's who.  I guess I have done a good job of teaching him!

Tuesday: I did have bread, but Keith requested a pancake sandwich.  I spread some Adam's peanut butter on one pancake, then drizzled some maple syrup on another.  I then cut up a banana and put the slices on the peanut butter, and covered that with the syrup covered pancake.  Keith again got a carrot stick, apple slices, raisins, and juice with his lunch.  And I wrote a joke on a napkin for him.

Wednesday (today): My baby was sick this morning, and so I was focused on her, so asked Keith to pack his own lunch.  He made himself a peanut butter and honey sandwich, got a small container of applesauce, a banana, a carrot, and some juice and considered it a good lunch.  What a funny boy I have.  I am so glad that he is so self sufficient and able to pack himself a healthy lunch when my attention is greatly needed elsewhere.

Now that I am more in the habit, I will try to post pictures of the lunches he takes.

How wonderful and exciting to be back in the swing of school lunches again!

No comments: